A Little Time and a Keyboard: Accidental Chicken Chili

Accidental Chicken Chili

Thursday, December 22, 2011

A couple of nights ago, I set out to make a peasant stew from a recipe that I found on myrecipes.com. Well, I opened a can of crushed tomatoes instead of the Mexican stewed tomatoes that the recipe called for. From there, the dish morphed into a chili. While I did not end up with the dish that I had intended, the resulting chili was really good. Here is my recipe:

1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2-3 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 chicken breasts (I used 2, but the chili could have used a little more meat)
1 cup chopped onion
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
5 fresh chiles, chopped
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
Lowfat or nonfat plain yogurt

Directions:

Combine cumin, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Coat the chicken with the mixture. Heat the olive oil in a French oven. Put chicken in French oven. Brown the chicken slightly. Stir in onion, tomatoes, chiles and chili powder. Cover with lid; cook on low heat for 2 hours. Stir in beans. Cover; cook on low heat for 30 more minutes.

Top each serving with cilantro and yogurt to taste. (You can use sour cream instead of yogurt if you would like. I almost always have yogurt on hand, so I prefer to use that. Also, my husband put some cheddar cheese on his instead of the yogurt.)





5 comments

  1. Sounds delicious! I am a new follower! http://www.gbedwright.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm a new follower from the hop. I love finding new mommy blogs to follow, so I'm happy to be here. Please come visit me back at http://www.yummymummykitchen.com :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello - neat site! Dropping by on the 'Find Friends' Hop. Following you on GFC now. :) Hope you can drop by my site, too.

    Thanks,
    Tami
    http://coloradomountainmom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so delicious.Even it is accidentaly,you have come out with a yummy dish!! Thanks a lot for linking with
    Midweek Fiesta
    Hope to see you on this Wednesday too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks Great, will have to try this. Thanks, Im now a follower!

    ReplyDelete