A Little Time and a Keyboard: In Honor Of President's Day--Some Interesting Facts

In Honor Of President's Day--Some Interesting Facts

Friday, February 17, 2012

Presidential facts have become hot topics in my daughter's first grade class.  In fact, it seems like someone checks out the presidential fact book from the library every week!  Since my daughter is pretty excited about President's Day and learning presidential facts, I have been looking online for interesting facts.  I found an interactive page on the PBS Go! website where kids can click on a President's face to reveal a fact.  Here are a few:


  • George Washington made sure that all of his six horses had their teeth brushed every day.

  • Thomas Jefferson once received a 1,235 lb block of cheese with a note from his admirers stating: "The greatest cheese in America for the greatest man in America."

  • Zachary Taylor never voted in a presidential election.  (I guess this is a case of "do as I say, not as I do.)

  • Since Benjamin Harrison was often in a bad mood, he was called the "Human Iceberg."

  • Harry S. Truman read all 2,000 books in his public library by the time he graduated high school.  This even included the encyclopedias.  What an inspiration to read!

  • Lyndon Johnson let out a holler when he visited the Taj Mahal in order to hear his voice echo.

  • Bill Clinton is allergic to cat dander yet, he had a cat while in the White House---Socks.

courtesy of www.clker.com
I could go on for awhile with these!  You can find more facts at the PBS Go! website.  The activity is really a fun little interactive experience for the kids and I am sure everyone will learn something!

1 comment

  1. so many weird little things about them, they were quite characters.

    ReplyDelete