A Little Time and a Keyboard: Parson's Indian Trading Post & Museum: A Wisconsin Dell's Family Favorite

Parson's Indian Trading Post & Museum: A Wisconsin Dell's Family Favorite

Sunday, January 6, 2013

I have been visiting the Wisconsin Dells almost yearly since being a child. I have been having fun introducing my daughter to all of the places that my family and I treasured while growing up. When I was little, no visit to the Wisconsin Dells was complete without a visit to Parson's Indian Trading Post & Museum.

Native American history and culture are very much a part of Wisconsin Dells, so Parson's is a great stop when visiting. One side of the Trading Post is a small museum housing many Native American artifacts. When I say small--I do mean small. However, the museum is free and there is a lot to look at in a small space. The displays include clothing, weapons, crafts, pictures, and more. There also are Native American handicrafts and jewelry for sale in the museum portion.

Across from the museum is the store, which houses an amazing amount of Native American crafts as well as general Wisconsin Dells souvenirs. As children, my sister and I loved to pick up some beaded jewelry or even something with turquoise at Parson's. My mother purchased a new pair of moccasins almost every year. There are items in every price range, so the kids can find an affordable souvenir to take back with them. (In fact, during our latest visit, my daughter scored a bracelet for $1.50.)

Here are some of our treasures from Parson's. The bracelet on the top is actually one that I purchased as a child.

Parsons1

Here is a closer look at my bracelet:

parsons2

Parson's is located near many of the Dell's attractions at 370 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965. They are open 7 days a week, 9AM-5PM during the winter, 9AM-9PM during the summer. However, on a recent visit I noticed that the store portion is closed Tues-Thurs during the winter. The museum is open all week.

**Disclosure: I did not receive any compensation for this post. All opinions are 100% my own.

Post a Comment